prof. Maciej Mataczyński
prof. Maciej Mataczyński. Advocate. Managing Partner.
Maciej Mataczyński is a distinguished expert in the field of Polish and European company and capital markets law. For many years he has successfully combined his academic activity and active legal practice, lending his expertise to key public and private players.
Since 2014, he has been appointed a number of times as an independent advisor to Polish ministers in the area of corporate governance, State Treasury involvement in strategic companies, as well as company and capital markets law. As a non-executive member of corporate bodies, he has accumulated years of experience in protecting the interests of companies and their shareholders (chairman of the supervisory board of PKN Orlen S.A. in 2016 and from 2008-2013; secretary and chairman of the Audit Committee in Firma Oponiarska Dębica S.A. since 2008).
The list of his academic achievements includes over 70 publications in reputable Polish and foreign publishing houses, (including C.H. Beck, Wolters Kluwer, Peter Lang). He has co-authored commentaries on the Polish Code of Commercial Companies, the Civil Code, the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, the Act on the Control of Certain Investments and major pieces of legislation governing capital market law. He has also mentored younger scholars – three of his graduate students have been conferred a PhD degree, and received awards and accolades for their dissertations in competitions organised by Państwo i Prawo, a prestigious monthly for legal scholars, or the Prime Minister.
Key projects carried out by Maciej include:
- development and implementation of a concept of integration of the two biggest Polish oil companies, with the aggregate transaction value exceeding EUR 4 bn;
- shepherding of a European Commission notification process concerning an intended takeover involving two of ten largest Polish companies;
- preparation and implementation of the first Polish public tender for services regarding managing a fund of funds with the value exceeding EUR 220 million, commissioned by a public agency;
- advisory on the possibility to launch a financial instrument involving funds from the European Fund for Regional Development, with the value in excess of EUR 100 million;
- advisory on capital market law to one of key players in the energy sector in a dispute concerning the sales of property rights with the value exceeding EUR 450 million;
- preparation and implementation, for one of the biggest Polish players in the TMT sector, of a takeover of a State Treasury’s subsidiary in the field of infrastructure, with a transaction value over EUR 50 million;
- restructuring of one of the key players in the Polish press distribution market, preceded by a preparation and implementation of its takeover by a strategic investor – an American private equity fund – with total investment value exceeding EUR 100 million;
- preparation of an unprecedented procedure to launch a branch campus of a foreign higher education institution in Poland;
- advisory to one of the biggest companies in the field of scientific infrastructure in a process of its acquisition by State Treasury.
Maciej Mataczyński graduated from Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, where he now works as a tenured professor, and completed a post-graduate programme at T.M.C. Asser Institute in the Hague. In 2001-2002 he studied at Harvard Law School as a Fulbright scholar. As a proficient speaker of English, he works in this language on a daily basis.